Policy priorities for transgender equality, focusing on:
- Health – issues around NHS services for transgender people;
- Legislation – the effectiveness of the Gender Recognition Act, the Equality Act 2010 and the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act;
- Employment – Inclusion in both education and workplace environments; and
- Transphobia – including the portrayal of trans people in the media and hate crime against trans people.
Discussion expected on how the media represents transgender people. There will be presentations from Patrick Strudwick, LGBT Editor, BuzzFeed UK; Rebecca Root, Actor, Boy Meets Girl and Helen Belcher, Director, Trans Media Watch.
- The Women and Equalities Committee report which considered how trans people have yet to achieve full equality;
- Review into the care and management of transgender people in prison;
- Guidance for doctors treating transgender patients published by the General Medical Council; and
- Proposed clinical commissioning policy on prescribing cross sex hormones for young people.
Key discussion points:
- Policy priorities for addressing transgender equality;
- The impact of legislation on gender recognition and identity;
- The portrayal of trans people in the media;
- The criminal justice system and its impact on transgender people;
- Access to health services and treatment; and
- How best to achieve an inclusive education and employment environment.
Keynotes: Jackie Driver, Director, Funded Programmes, Equality and Human Rights Commission; Will Huxter, Regional Director of Specialised Commissioning (London) and Chair, Gender Identity Task and Finish Group, NHS England; Rebecca Root, Actor, Boy Meets Girl and Patrick Strudwick, LGBT Editor, BuzzFeed UK.
Further confirmed speakers: Helen Belcher, Director, Trans Media Watch; Dr Polly Carmichael, Consultant Clinical Psychologist and Clinical Director, Gender Identity Development Service, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust; Peter Dawson, Deputy Director, Prison Reform Trust; Susie Green, Chief Executive Officer, Mermaids UK; Dr Debbie Hayton, Head of Physics, King Henry VIII School, Coventry; Member, NASUWT and Member, TUC LGBT Committee; Delia Johnston, Specialist Diversity Consultant, Trans in Sport; Megan Key, Equalities Manager, National Probation Service and Steve Mulcahy, Headteacher, Richard Lander School, Cornwall.
Chair: Baroness Barker, Vice Chair, All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Rights and Ruth Cadbury MP, Member, Women and Equalities Committee.
Please pay in advance by credit card on 01344 864796. If advance credit card payment is not possible, please let me know and we may be able to make other arrangements.
Options and charges:
- Places at Policy priorities for transgender equality (including refreshments and a complete PDF copy of the transcripts) are £210 plus VAT;
- Concessionary rate places (see conditions): £80 plus VAT. Please be sure to apply for this at the time of booking.
- Full transcript available approximately 10 days after the event for £95 plus VAT;
- Concessionary rate: £50 plus VAT.