I would like to invite you to a one day symposium on 7th July at Manchester Metropolitan University, run by the Department of Interdisciplinary Studies (Abuse Studies Section)
This free one day symposium will include presentations by speakers and there will be streams for separate papers. Areas of interest include (but are not limited to):
– Globalisation, power and abuse
– Modern day slavery and human trafficking
– Child sexual abuse and exploitation
– Abuse of vulnerable adults
– The links between human and animal abuse
– Abuse of older people
– Abuse based on race or ethnicity
– Safeguarding practice in context
– Comparative/international approaches to abuse or safeguarding
– Abuse in sport, training and leisure contexts
Lunch will be provided, and there will be a wine reception in the early evening to launch the newly constituted charitable professional association ASPIRE (Association for Abuse Studies, Safeguarding Practitioners and Researchers). The Keynote speaker will be announced.
We value and welcome all inter-disciplinary focuses on abuse including sociological, psychological, social anthropological, social work, criminological, social policy and practice perspectives, gender studies, social care, philosophical and historical.
If you would like to present on the day, or would like further information, please send a 150 word abstract to Karolina.firstname.lastname@example.org by 10th June.
Please forward this invitation to your colleagues within the academy and to practitioners, NGO’s and Civil Society groups who may be interested.
Dr Geraldine Lee-Treweek (Convenor)